Home News Baldur's Gate 4 Was Playable But Ultimately Abandoned by Larian

Baldur's Gate 4 Was Playable But Ultimately Abandoned by Larian

by Mia Nov 18,2024

Baldur's Gate 4 Was Playable But Ultimately Abandoned by Larian

As Larian Studios, the makers of 2023's game of the year—Baldur's Gate 3—gear up for their new projects, studio CEO Swen Vincke has recently revealed more behind-the-scenes info on the game they're leaving behind.

A Follow-Up to BG3 Was Already “Playable” According to LarianBG3 DLC and BG4 Ultimately Shelved as Larian Moves On from Franchise

Baldur's Gate 4 Was Playable But Ultimately Abandoned by Larian

In a recent interview with PC Gamer, Larian Studios CEO Swen Vincke revealed that they had a follow-up to Baldur's Gate 3 in development before deciding to move on to new projects. This follow-up to BG3 was already in a "playable" state and something fans "would have liked."

"It's something that you all would have liked, I think," Vincke said. "I'm sure, actually. And we actually went pretty fast, because the production machine was still warm. You could already play stuff. But you played it and you looked at it, and, like, you know, this is OK." According to Vincke, however, after years of working on a Dungeons & Dragons-related title, the team was reluctant to spend even more time working on the IP. "I mean, we'll probably have to redo it 10 times. And do we really want to do this for the next three years?"

While Baldur's Gate 4 sounded like a good idea, the prospect of spending additional years on the same type of project was not appealing to Vincke or the developers. Vincke shared that the studio felt it was time to chase their original ideas instead and make them come to life.

Morale Remains High at Larian Studios

Baldur's Gate 4 Was Playable But Ultimately Abandoned by Larian

"We should be looking at how we can do stuff that we get excited about," he said. After discussing it with his teams, the consensus was to move on. Following their success at The Game Awards 2023, Larian Studios took their next step and decided to move away from Baldur's Gate 3, declining to develop the sequel to the 2023 Game of the Year title.

"I don't think, as developers, we ever felt better since we took that decision [to not make BG4]," Vincke said. "Honestly, you really cannot explain or express it, how liberated we are. So morale is super high, just because we're doing new stuff again."

"We'll carry on patching for a while and then we're all going to take a holiday and then we'll figure out what we do next," senior product manager Tom Butler said at the time. With the ideas for Baldur's Gate 4 and an expansion to Baldur's Gate 3 shelved altogether for the same reasons, Larian is now focused on their two upcoming, undisclosed projects, which Vincke said will be their greatest yet.

Baldur's Gate 4 Was Playable But Ultimately Abandoned by Larian

Before working on the Baldur’s Gate series, Larian Studios previously worked on the Divinity series, which could be getting another entry now that Larian has stepped away from Dungeons & Dragons. Shortly before BG3’s release in August last year, Vincke said that a sequel to Divinity: Original Sin was "definitely on the horizon," but the team needed to work on Baldur’s Gate 3 first. Although the specifics of these projects remain unknown for now, Vincke mentioned that their next project for that series won’t be Divinity: Original Sin 3, saying that it will be different from what fans think it is.

Meanwhile, Baldur's Gate 3's last major patch is set to launch sometime in fall 2024, adding official mod support, cross-play, and new evil endings.

Latest Articles More+
  • 04 2025-04
    Fantom PvP Mode Revolutionizes Rush Royale Gameplay

    Rush Royale is revolutionizing its PvP battles with the introduction of the exciting new Fantom PvP mode. This innovative addition challenges players to rethink their strategies, as every move in this mode can potentially benefit your opponent. If you thought PvP was intense before, Fantom PvP will

  • 04 2025-04
    Elden Ring Nightreign’s First Network Test Plagued by Server Issues, FromSoftware Issues Apology

    The first network test for Elden Ring Nightreign, ongoing at the time of this article's publication, has encountered significant server issues, preventing many players from accessing the game. IGN staff members who had access to the test reported being unable to play for the first hour due to these

  • 04 2025-04
    "Season 3 of Invincible: Key New Characters Revealed"

    As the highly anticipated Invincible: Season 3 approaches, Prime Video has unveiled an exciting new lineup of voice actors set to join the series. Among them are Aaron Paul as Powerplex, John DiMaggio as The Elephant, and Simu Liu as Dupli-Kate's brother Multi-Paul. However, the most intriguing addi